Meet our team
Julie Funk, Dean
Starting March 2019
Dean Funk's Background:
- Graduated from Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine in 1991
- Taught veterinary preventative medicine for six years at Ohio State University
- Served as Director of the online graduate program for food safety, setting the national model, and conducted research in pre-harvest food safety
- Served as Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Student Success at Michigan State University in the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Led the strategic reinvention of curriculum to strengthen the profession, initiated a clinical skills laboratory and established the first career services advisor position in the college's history
- Key initiatives as Associate Dean included implementation of holistic admissions processes for the CVM and innovative student wellness and engagement efforts
Walt Klimecki, Associate Dean, Academic and Faculty Affairs
James H. Maciulla, Assistant Dean for Clinical Relations and Outreach
"Our goal is for employers to be proud to hire a UA graduate with a DVM degree because they know they're going to be financially literate, they're going to be clinically competent and they're going to be positive forces within those practices from day one."
Dr. Maciulla's Background:
- Graduated from the University of Arizona with B.S. and M.S. degrees in animal science.
- Graduated from Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in 2001.
- Comes to the University of Arizona after spending 17 years in private, mixed-animal practice.
- Received the AzVMA's 2018 Distinguished Service Award for his exceptional contributions to the veterinary community and profession.