Meet our team
David G. Besselsen, Interim Dean
"I am excited to lead the University of Arizona into the future of veterinary medicine. Together we have an amazing opportunity to transform how we prepare the veterinarians of tomorrow."
Dean Besselsen’s Background:
- Graduated from the University of Missouri-Columbia veterinary school in 1988.
- AVMA board certified specialist in Laboratory Animal Medicine and Veterinary Pathology.
- Joined the University of Arizona in 1995 as Chief of Pathology Services for University Animal Care (UAC).
- Became University Attending Veterinarian and UAC Director in 2011.
- Holds additional appointments in the BIO5 Institute, Arizona Cancer Center, and School of Animal and Comparative Biomedical Sciences.
James H. Maciulla, Associate Dean for Clinical Relations and Outreach
"Our goal is for employers to be proud to hire a UA graduate with a DVM degree because they know they're going to be financially literate, they're going to be clinically competent and they're going to be positive forces within those practices from day one."
Dr. Maciulla's Background:
- Graduated from the University of Arizona with B.S. and M.S. degrees in animal science.
- Graduated from Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences in 2001.
- Comes to the University of Arizona after spending 17 years in private, mixed-animal practice.
- Received the AzVMA's 2018 Distinguished Service Award for his exceptional contributions to the veterinary community and profession.