Financial Resources

The College of Veterinary Medicine Students is committed to providing a great education without lifelong debt and is dedicated to helping students maximize their financial resources. Students have access to a substantial scholarship program as well as additional funding opportunities.

Financial Resource Options

The College of Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to helping students maximize their financial resources.  Below is a list of ways students can leverage scholarship:

  • Merit and Need Based Scholarships (upon admission)
  • Named Scholarships through Vet College
  • Montgomery GI Bill Education Benefits Program
  • Yellow Ribbon Institution*
  • In-State Tuition for Honorably Discharged Veterans*
  • Qualified Tuition Reduction
  • Stafford Loans
  • Graduate Plus Loans

*The College of Vet Med is currently going through VA approval and benefits can NOT be processed until it is approved.



The College of Veterinarian Medicine has a great scholarship program. All admitted students are considered for merit and need-based awards as part of the admissions process; no separate application is necessary. To be considered for need-based aid, applicants must file a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) to be eligible.

Named Scholarships

Named Scholarships may have specific additional requirements. To be considered for the following Named Scholarships, students are encouraged to apply directly to the award.

  • Charles and Maxine Lakin Vet Med Scholarship
  • Janice and David Shelton Family Endowed Scholarship in Veterinary Medicine
  • Marley Vet Med Scholarship
  • Mary Sniadach Scholarship for Veterinary Medicine
  • Peggy Lee Stith Scholarship
  • Veterinary Medicine Dean's Scholarship Endowment

Merit-Based Scholarships

Merit based aid is evaluated upon admissions to the program.  Students are considered for merit awards as part of the admission process; no separate application is required.

Additional Scholarships

Visit the University of Arizona’s Scholarship Universe website to browse additional scholarship opportunities.

Financial Aid – FAFSA

To apply for most types of aid, including loans, you are required to submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

You MUST submit a FAFSA if:

  • You are an applicant for admission or a current student seeking federal loans.
  • You are a student with a scholarship but no federal loans. 

FAFSA Application

  • If you are a renewal-eligible FAFSA applicant (you filed the prior year), your application will be pre-filled with certain data from previous years.
  • Students, parents, and borrowers are required to use an FSA ID, made up of a username and password, to access certain U.S. Department of Education websites. Your FSA ID is used to confirm your identity when accessing your financial aid information and electronically signing your federal student aid documents. Click here to create your FSA ID.
  • The University of Arizona code is 001083.
  • If you have already completed your FAFSA without listing The University of Arizona, file an online correction adding The University of Arizona. If there are 10 school codes on your record, any new school codes that you add will replace one or more of the school codes listed. Please assure that the school being removed has already received your FAFSA information. 

What You Will Need

  • Estimated income and assets for the calendar year, as you may be completing the FAFSA before your federal taxes have been filed. The FAFSA is available online beginning Jan. 1 for the upcoming academic year.
  • A valid email address.
  • A list of the school codes for the schools that you want to receive FAFSA information. To change schools, you must make a correction to your FAFSA. 
  • You are REQUIRED to file corrections to your FAFSA when your federal income tax return has been completed.
  • Parents’ income information is NOT REQUIRED for professional students.

When To Apply

  • Applicants for financial assistance may submit their FAFSA beginning Jan. 1 for the upcoming academic year.
  • The priority processing date for the upcoming academic year is March 1. In order to meet this deadline, complete your FAFSA by Feb. 14.
  • Your financial aid award letter will be available for review in June and for acceptance in July.

FAFSA Follow-Up

  • Once you have completed your FAFSA, the federal processor will send you written confirmation in the form of a Student Aid Report (SAR). If you do not receive this report within 3 to 5 days of filing the FAFSA online, contact the federal processor at 1-800-433-3243.
  • When you receive your SAR, review it for accuracy. Make corrections or changes according to the instructions. If the SAR is correct, keep it for your records.
  • The university will receive your FAFSA/SAR information through an electronic process. Based on the information from your FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid award letter detailing your aid.
  • Any changes made to the FAFSA may create changes in financial aid eligibility and will generate a revised financial aid award letter.

The U.S. Department of Education processes the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and calculates an Estimated Family Contribution from income and asset information provided by the student. The results are transmitted electronically to all schools whose codes were listed by the student on the FAFSA.


If you are a first-time borrower of Federal Stafford Loans OR previously borrowed Federal Stafford loans and paid them in full, OR if you are borrowing GradPlus loans (regardless of if you have previously borrowed GradPlus loans), you MUST complete an online Entrance Counseling Session before you can receive loan funds. 

Federal Stafford Unsubsidized Loan 

Loans borrowed through the Stafford unsubsidized loan program are not based upon need, but in combination with the other aid, cannot exceed the student’s budget. Stafford unsubsidized loans accrue simple interest, which is capitalized onto the principal at the time of repayment. The interest rate varies around 6%. The U.S. Department of Education determines rates and fees. The amount borrowed through the Stafford unsubsidized program may not exceed $20,500 per year. Visit the Federal Direct Loans page on the university’s financial aid website for more information.

Graduate Plus Loan

If a balance remains after the federal loans and all other aid have been deducted from the budget, the student can apply for a Graduate Plus loan program to cover the remaining balance only. The Graduate Plus Loan is based upon personal credit history. The interest rate varies around 7%. The U.S. Department of Education determines rates and fees. Visit the Graduate Plus Loans page on the university's financial aid website for more information.

Exit Counseling

If you have borrowed federal funds, you MUST complete loan exit counseling before graduating, leaving school, or going below half-time. Loan exit counseling will explain your rights and responsibilities as a borrower. It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete. Please note that you will need the PIN you received from the Department of Education to begin your exit counseling. Visit the Exit Counseling page of the Federal Student Aid website to begin your exit counseling session.